Monday 8 August 2011

Back On Track and Plastic Cameras

Well it seems I have been slacking on updating my blog. My apologies!

I have been working hard on my series of night sky paintings. I have an exhibition at the Primcorp Exhibition Site, which is downtown Ottawa, Ontario. It runs from August 23rd until October 18th, 2011. It is my first exhibition and I am very excited about it. I will have six paintings for the exhibition.

In a few weeks school will begin. I never thought I'd be a fine arts student. I always thought I would be an animator, nurse or a computer expert. The last two years have presented many new challenges to me as well as ideas and inspirations. With digital art in this age, it is more of a challenge to make yourself known through traditional art. I hope one day to be a voice for the deaf and hard of hearing artists.

This year I fell in love...

...with plastic cameras.
Their simplicity, imperfections and pretty much everything about them is what took me in. Lomography is a big carrier of these cameras. They all have different effects, and all cost considerably less than a decent digital camera.

Currently in my arsenal, I have:

The Fisheye - captures a 160 degree view of what is around you. It works best in cloudy conditions, or at night, as it comes with a built-in flash. It uses 35mm film.

Holga 120N - I have not mastered using this one yet. It is loved for its light leaks and colour distortion. It comes with an external flash with colour covers. It uses 120mm film.

Fujifilm Instax Mini - This is very similar to an old Polarioid which prints photos. It works best in dark conditions, and the film is very pricy. It uses Instax Mini film only.

The Spinner 360 - This camera is by far the most unique. It sits on a handle, you pull the drawstring and it winds around in a complete 360 degree turn, capturing everything around it in one frame. It takes eight photos on a regular 35mm roll of film instead of twenty four.

POP 9 Gold - This camera takes nine photos in one frame. It captures everything in four seconds. It has a built in flash so you can even use it at night. It uses 35mm film.

My hope is to use my photos for an art project. It's still in the planning stages so I can't say much about it yet.  My next camera I want to add to my collection is the Diana Mini "Love is In The Air" edition. It's so cute, it's hard not to want it!



Now I need to get back to working on my paintings. I'm not going to get anywhere if I keep playing with cameras all day.

Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment